Res Srl, Research for Enterprise Systems, Italian company that develops and markets software, services and consultancy Enterprise Management since 1987, announces that, in little more than six months from the laboratory constitution RES DATA INSTITUTE FOR SCIENCE (RIDS) www.rids. it, are numerous prototypes and proof-of-concept have already been developed (POC), then presented to some of the biggest Italian industrial groups and banks.
RIDS – RES Institute for Data Science, is a joint laboratory of methodological and applied research in Data Science, constituted by the RES Group and the University of Pavia, based in the Department of Political and Social Sciences of the University of Pavia.
“We created the RIDS laboratory at the end of last year since, both by our customers, both on the part of other market organizations in which we work, came the request to avail themselves of university research frontier knowledge to the development and ‘use of products not yet sold on the market. “- said Mario Bonelli, President of RES Group.
“The difficulty of the different organizations is in its relationship with universities and finalize the wealth of academic knowledge, the latter translating into real solutions to be launched on the market or used in-house.” How we invest the RES Group 11 % of its turnover in Research & Development, a substantial sum, considering that the average Italian Company invests less than one third in R & D. Part of our investments in innovation and research have been used to create the RIDS lab and, thanks to the awareness and availability of the University of Pavia, we have created a joint laboratory where engineers of the department of Research and Development of RES are to work closely with teachers, researchers and doctoral students of the University of Pavia. “- concluded Mario Bonelli, President of RES Group.
The laboratory research RIDS born on American government laboratory model of Silicon Valley, and has the aim to engineer innovative models arising from university research on Data Science, for the development of new products to be placed on the market or used within the various organizations. E ‘was presented recently to the various departments of the University of Pavia by Prof. Silvia Figini , professor of statistics and scientific coordinator of the RIDS, and Eng. Federico Bonelli , head of Research & Development of RES Group of Companies and Contact for RIDS, picking up new members and plaudits from teachers, researchers and PhD students of various faculties in the room.
“What distinguishes us from other companies that do research in collaboration with universities, is that the RES, as well as to provide their IT technologies for Big Data, provides also Project Manager RIDS, Data Scientist and developers daily dealing in Technology Transfer, collaborating regularly with researchers and professors. These RES engineers share a common language with both client companies, and with the researcher and professor, facilitating the exchange of information. “- said Federico Bonelli, principal investigator of RES.
“That’s Technology Transfer is a very delicate and important role for the success of the project, because the motivations that drive university and company are very different. The mission of technology transfer is to lead to good business use the results of university research (methods, algorithms, models) and demonstrate the tangible benefits of using advanced models in specific vertical scenarios. Combining the good transfer technological expertise to the boundless present in the academy we can provide customers with a consulting service excellence and find, while important funding for the University “- said Federico Bonelli, principal investigator of RES.
Currently the RIDS laboratory has several prototypes already made. Semi-finished products which are used for the realization of projects and covering:
- estimation of credit risk for Italian SMEs: SMEs evaluation for each of the PD (probability of default) to two years, with both linear models conform to the interbank Basel regulation, with non-linear models for various financial operators.
- evaluation of operational risk for the fulfillment of rare phenomena (eg. risk of terrorist attacks, geographical risks): descriptive analysis for estimating the frequency and severity of undesirable phenomena, and predictive in order to determine situations in which increases the probability of the event risky.
- estimate of the risk of dropping out and evaluation of the Lifetime Value : prediction abandonment event the customer side (churn) for a particular service or product, considering the time dependence and the covariates in a nonlinear manner.
- estimate of the risk of fraud , money laundering , corruption and terrorist financing : development of robust indicators for the detection of triangulations of money, for the detection of illicit money movements, exceeding the current models that provide many false positives.
Inside the RIDS laboratory, we are use some of the proprietary technologies developed by the RES, and in particular, some components that allow to carry out:
- analysis of co-occurring events , to discover relationships between events occurring together (eg. the failure of software components or machinery)
- extracting information from texts in Italian or English (eg. to extract names, dates, legal entities from free text, in any format)
- static analysis of source code , impact analysis and software quality analysis
To develop new prototypes, further research on new topics and enhance the Group’s business, RES has already opened 10 new positions for recent graduates to be included in the current team.