Apple App Store: $70 billion for developers

Apple App Store: $ 70 billion for developers

A few days before the WWDC, Apple announced growth figures for its own App Store. As a result, the company has paid over US $ 70 billion to developers since the opening of the App Store on July 10, 2008. The top-selling app categories are games and entertainment . The photo and video area is growing most.

High growth in downloads and payment subscriptions

Within the last 12 months, the number of app downloads has risen by 70 percent. Apple names popular applications such as Pokémon Go and Super Mario Run as key factors.

Payments for services such as Netflix, Hulu or Spotify increased by 58 percent over the same period. The now more flexible sales division makes subscription offers increasingly attractive for developers. Originally, the App Store included only the 70-30 rule: developers received 70 percent of the amount of app sold. The remaining 30 percent went to Apple.

For normal app purchases, the split continues. For app subscriptions, on the other hand, the Apple share is now down to 15 percent from the second year, so third parties get 85 percent of the revenue. The fact that all 25 app categories now support the subscription model also has a boost to sales.

Play front, photo and video apps pick up

The Games and Entertainment categories provide the most revenue in the App Store. The most growth-rich app areas are photo and video applications. The value rose by 90 percent compared to the previous year. Also health , fitness and lifestyle are on the fast track with a growth of over 70 percent.

Services for Apple more and more important

Apple’s Services division, which includes the App Store, Apple Music and iCloud, is becoming more and more important for sales. While the main revenue maker iPhone in Apple’s second fiscal quarter 2017 declined slightly from sales figures, the services segment grew by 17.5 percent.

Correspondingly, Apple is increasingly concerned about optimizing the App Store’s offering and use experience and increasing its attractiveness for both providers and buyers alike. About a year ago, Apple shortened the review process of new or updated apps drastically. What could last several weeks now usually works within 24 hours or less days. In the fall of 2016, the iPhone group also began a large-scale muck out of the App Store, which has already lost many older and non-functioning applications.



Always on the move... Love to blog, write about smartphones, technology and telecoms. I also like to snowboard, when I have the time :p I'll be around for a while so, be prepared.

Leave a Response

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.